Sunday, January 22, 2006
Robina Triathlon




Here's some photos of our first race in Australia - my
first triathlon ever. It was a success for both of us. Jim raced in the Open / Elite class and ended up 18th out of 600 and some total competitors. There was some stiff competition for him including 2 time olympian Olivier Marceau. If he had raced in his age group he would have come in 2nd in the 25-29 year olds.
His race was a 750meter swim, 20km bike (4 loops) and a 5km run (2 loops). He said they all started out very aggressively on the swim and that he got bunched up a bit turning around the first bouy. After he got out of the water he looked back and didn't see anyone (editors note - he did say there were a few stragglers way back). Jim's quote "I basically got my butt kicked in the swim." The bike course was very busy and he was just off the lead pack by a minuted nearly the whole way, so he didn't really lose time on the bike. Not bad considering he did it all on his own, whereas the top 10 or so were in a drafting pack. His running seems to be getting stronger, so he's really happy about that. He had his personal best 5km run here (18:27)!
My race was an Enticer (for beginner) that was really short - 300meter swim, 10km bike, and 2.5 km run. There were 66 ladies in my group, 16-34 year olds. I was 37th out of the water - my super swim skills at work! In the end I finished 4th in our group, so I got to pass lots of people on the bike and a few on the run. I was really happy with the end result - especially since I didn't drown in the lake. The water was extremely dirty - you couldn't see more then 1 foot so that was a bit different than swimming in the pool with the line to follow.
If any of you want to see the complete results and times, go to: www.usmevents.com.au and click on the Gatorade Queensland series, Race 4 at Robina, provisional results.
Thanks to all of you who are leaving comments. We love reading them!
Comments:
<< Home
Hey, you Dynamic Duo – Congratulations x 2 – Mieke – a successful First Triathlon – Jim – a stronger run with your personal best. In addition, you did a great job with photography, sports writing and posting the info online. – A Happy South Dakota Mom
Jim & Mieke: Here's a cyber HUG from one very proud mom.......you two did so good........Jim - you must be on cloud 9 having beat your personal best, yippee.
Mieke, what can I say, you're truly an inspiration to this ole mom.....
Love ya both, have a well deserved rest now.....appreciate you sharing the photos
Mom bon
Post a Comment
Mieke, what can I say, you're truly an inspiration to this ole mom.....
Love ya both, have a well deserved rest now.....appreciate you sharing the photos
Mom bon
<< Home

