Monday, March 27, 2006
Mooloolaba Triathlon

Jim found this spider in our garage tonight. He's not sure where it went after he took the photos of it. He tried to swat it to death with sandpaper, but somehow missed. (For you spider lovers, its still alive down there some where).The second picture is of me (in the red suit w/ the white visor) close to the end of the 10km run during the Mooloolaba triathlon (Olympic Distance - 1500meter swim, 40km bike, 10km run). I had a better than expected day. The swim was a bit short - much to my liking, but then it was a long run from the swim exit to the transition (450 meters). After I made it out of the water in 46th (yippie - I wasn't last!) out of 56 people in my age group, I was off on the bike. Between the bike and the run I made up some pretty good ground, finishing 23rd out of 56 in a time of 2:37:42. My goal was to finish between 2:45 and 3:00 hours, so I was really happy.
Jim had a good race too, though he slacked off a bit on the run in the end. He raced in the open category with the fast guys again. After making a great tactical move by swimming straight to the swim exit (instead of following a pack of guys that were swimming to the wrong thing), he hopped on his bike in a decent position and felt like he had a good ride. Once he started running, he realized even if he ran his best 10km time he'd still finish in the middle of the group. He decided to conserve a bit of energy and take it easy on the run (44 minute 10km) since he is training for a half ironman coming up in about a month. Even with that, had he raced in his age group he would have finished 7th out of 87 in 2:08:03, so a job well done for him as well!
