Sunday, September 03, 2006

 

Ayers Rock, Cairns vacation and Evan's Head triathlon











































Here's some photos of our trip to Ayer's Rock and Cairns. We had a great time with my parents. They are now off to drive from Melbourne to Sydney, checking out the sights along the way. We'll see them next weekend in Brisbane for a few days before they leave the country for good. Visiting and climbing Ayers Rock was certainly a highlight of the trip. It is much more impressive than any photos or postcards can show. The reason my dad looks like he is struggling in the photo above is because it was extremely windy up there. Some lady's glasses blew off her face and were lost for good...

On a side note, Jim and I got back yesterday morning from Cairns and went to Evan's Head (a town 2.5 hours south of here) for a sprint distance triathlon - 750meter swim, 20km bike, and 5km run. It was the first one of the season for us down here. Jim got third overall and first in his age group. I got 3rd in my age group (out of 5!!)

The swim was in the ocean with lots of big waves and currents pulling you around. It was by far the hardest swim I've ever done - since I've learned to swim this past year. I wanted to quit half way out to the first bouy when I was in the big crashing waves and not going anywhere, but the lifeguards and their boats weren't nearby. Good thing I guess, since I eventually worked my way around the course and ended up getting $20 for my 3rd place effort. Jim, on the other hand, made it around the swim fine and had a good race overall and won $50 for his effort...

Comments:
oh my gosh, you guys were RIGHT there! Did u see the croc hunter in his last moments? His death is HUGE HUGE news back in the States! People are in mourning! I cant imagine how things are there! Do tell! Please!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?